Oct. 4 1979
Burden has never been without a newspaper since the first one, "The New Enterprize" was established Apri1 29, 1880 by D. 0. McCray. This publication continued until 1891; however, during that time the name was changed twice, first to "Siftings" then to "Burden Enterprize."
In the early 1890's Mattie Shawhan of Illinois purchased the paper and published under the name of "Spirit of the West" until she moved the plant to Arkansas City in 1893.
"The Eagle" was founded January 24, 1885 by the Eagle Publishing Co. with J. W. Henthorn as editor. Publishers and editors changed numerous times throughout the years until 1908.
W. L. Hutton founded "The Burden Times" in 1907 and that paper has been Published continuously until the present day; however, the name, changed to "The Cowley County Reporter" in 1967. The Subscription rate in 1907 was $1.00 a year.
Since this is our Centennial year, a few notes from the first news "The New Enterprize" might be of interest.
The paper's motto was "Our Mission: The Promotion of Interests." Subscription price $1.50 per year in advance.
In a news article from the first issue, Editor McCray states his views and opinions concerning the town of Burden as follows: "Six month ago we visited the townsite of Burden when there was not a family in the town. Today we look upon a prosperous city of over 200 souls, on the line of the Kansas City, Lawrence and Southern, (one of the best railways in the west) with its large stone business houses and comfortable residences. No town in the west ever started with such bright prospects as Burden nor with such permanent improvements. The first building erected was that of Messrs, Ford and Leonard, it being a stone business house 25 x 80 feet these gentlemen have great faith in the future of Burden. Since the improvements has been the order of the day and now we have 75 to 80 buildings completed and a dozen others under way. Our city is located in one of the grandest countries in the west. This beautiful prairie which surrounds our town on all sides is rich and productive and capable of supporting a city of ten thousand inhabitants. New buildings are being contracted for every day, and city lots are being sold very fast. Within one year from this date, and at the present rate, there will be one thousand people in Burden. There is yet some very desirable property on Main Street for business locations that can be purchased reasonable. We need merchants, mechanics and businessmen of all kinds. There are openings for all. For information concerning town property, address E. M. Ford, Sec. Town Company, Burden.
In a front page ad on Jan. 6, 1881, it was stated, "Burden Continues to Boom! The Town Company of Burden, Kansas, desires to say to those seeking homes or a business location in a live town that they can offer inducements unequaled by any other Town Company in the West. Persons desiring homes, businessmen seeking locations, capitalists seeking investments, mechanics seeking employment, Come to Burden! For terms and full particulars, address Ford & Leonard, Burden, Ks.
The first issue of The New Enterprize had 19 ads Including Railway, Post Office and two doctors.
Land prices were from $5.00 to $20.00 per acre around Burden and city lots were priced from $15 to $75.
Water: An abundance of water has been found in the city well on Main Street and our people are happy. It will afford enough water to supply the town.
Burden Town Co. was composed of R. F. Burden, President (resident of Cowley Co. several years, member of County Commissioners for 7 years), E. M. Ford, Sec., N. W. Leonard, Maj. 0. B. Ginn (chief engr. of K. C. L.& S. Railroad) and T. K. Johnston, Treasurer (resident of Winfield).