Click on Left half  forLargView Click on Right  Half for Comments
 

 

   
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
     
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       

Note 01

H. T. Fromm Store

This building was replaced by a two story stone building in 1930

The smaller building was a hardware store at time of this picture, later a restaurant.

 

 
 

Note 02

Inside  H. T. Fromm Store

 

 
 

Note 03

Wilber Overman, Druggist

 

 

 
 

Note 4

 

 

 
 

Note 5

 

 

 
 

Note 6

 

 

 
 

Note 7

Lumber yard, half block North of rail road on West side of Main

George Adkins Seated

 

 
 

Note 8

 

 

 
 

Note 9

 

 

 
 

Note 10

  Cambridge Bank

Fred Jackson, Unknown,  S. M. Fall,  R. L. Lundy,  Frank Moore,  Lee Sickes,  J. J. Benjamin,  Henry Hicks

 

 
 

Note 11

 

 

 
 

Note 12

EARLY LOG CABIN, ON GROUSE CREEK NORTH OF CAMBRIDGE

The Will McCrabb family lived in the log cabin at time the picture was taken about 1896.

Seated left is Orville McCrabb with pet dog; Frank McCrabb is seated on barrel;

Lewis, Walter then their father, Will McCrabb on the right.

 Mrs. McCrabb, the former Mary Moore, was not at home when the picture was taken.

The McCrabb family moved into the log cabin about 1894 and lived there about ten years

until they moved to a nearby farm.

(By Maudine Banks, printed in Winfield Daily Courier, July 13, 1961.)

Lester McCrabb, CHS graduate with class of 1925, was born August 21, 1907

 after the McCrabbs had moved to the nearby farm.

 

Parts taken from a Nita Wilson article.

    Ross Wilkins of Winfield provided part of the information for this story, because his father, Grant Wilkins, lived as a boy with his parents, Henry Wilkins, and a brother lived in a nearby 14 by 16 foot Dugout, and talked about it to Ross in later years.  Henry's brother, Alonzo (Doc) Wilkins, who was a doctor, decided to settle in that area in 1872 with his wife and two sons, but didn't have a place to live. Henry and Dock, as he was called, put up the 14 by 20 foot log cabin in three days, using for their tools a crosscut saw and an axe. The logs used were from local trees of several types. They used a mixture of clay and mud to fill the cracks and spaces between the logs. In later years the walls were lathed and plastered.  A fireplace was built on the east side of the cabin for cooking as well as heating.  The Wilkins brothers used an instrument called a froe to cut the shake shingles for the roof.  There was a loft accessible by a ladder, which was used for an extra room for sleeping.  In later years a window was added to the upper part and a stairway was built to replace the ladder.  Ross said his father told him about spending nights with his cousins and they slept in the loft.  The Alonzo Wilkins family lived several years in this log cabin and Doc administered to the sick people in the area.  An extra 12 by 16 foot room, using logs for the walls, was added to the north of the original part, but It is not known just when. A cave, which is visible in the photo, was dug in the side of the hill nearby, and it has a solid rock floor and a rock front. There was a dug well, not too far from the cabin with a large flat stone with a round hole in the center covered the top of the well. The Wilkins family got their water from a spring, not too far away, when they first lived there.

     The McCrabb and the Garoutte families lived there later.

 

 
 

Note 13

 

 

 
 

Note 14

 

 

 
 

Note 15

  City Service

Back Row:      Marion Cook,  "Log" Milam   (Next three repairmen)   Harry McChesney

Middle Row:  Dick Rankin,   Floyd Beeler,   Ward Booth,  Forrest Beamer,  (Repairmen Timekeeper)

Fromt Row:          Amos Daniels,  Charles Lyke,  Chester Campbell,  Alvin Cook,  Paul Crawford

 

 
 

Note 16

  Some of the Men of Cambridge, Kansas - Approximately 1895

       Seated L to R:   
Mr. Cropp,   Mr. Bonifield,   Mr. Horseman,   Mr. Dawson,   Sam Crow,   Mr. Hays,   Kirk Lyons,   Mr. Horsemam

Standing:  L to R:

  ??,  ??,   Clint Simpson,   Lou Welsh,   Charlie Dawson,  Dell Sutton,   George Dwyer,   Dr. Musgrave, 

 Doris McCaw, Mr. Hillier,   Henry Hendrickson,   Jim Farris,   Charlie Farris
 

 

 

Note 17

Cambridge Post Office:  April 9, 1917

Nelle Kelso (Craft),     Mrs. Honeycup,     Fern Baum (Oberman)

 

 
 

Note 18

Cambridge Baseball Team  April 20 1925

Back L - R:  Aubry Brunton,  Earl Hawley,  Howard Lundy,  Ern Tredway,  ??,  J. J. Benjamin

Sitting: L - R:  Clay Smith Sr.,  ??,  George Tredway,  ??, 

 

 

Note 19

Cedar Creek Bridge Looking west 1912

 

Note 20

Tornado 1915 S. E. of Cambridge

 

Note 21

 

Note 22

 

Note 23

 

 
 

Note 24

 

 

 
 

Note 25

 

 

 
 

Note 26

 

 

 
 

Note 27

 

 

 
 

Note 28

 

 

 
 

Note 29

 

 

 
 

Note 30

 

 

 
 

Note 31

Roy Harris,   Luther Hawley,   Beecher Brunton

 

 

 

Note 32

 

 

 
 

Note 33

 

 

 
 

Note 34

 

 

 
 

Note 35

 

 

 
 

Note 36

 

 

 
 

Note 37

Dolly and Sidney Hillier, In front of South grocery store, 1946 or 47

 

 
 

Note 38

 

 

 
 

Note 39

 

 

 
 

Note 40

James Eascom Rowe  South East of Cambridge

 

 
 

Note 41

Little girl is Aldine Harris with her Mother Lois Harris and her Grandfather, Benjamin Leland Copeland.

 

 
 

Note 42

 

 

 
 

Note 43

Luther Hawley Under Cedar Creek Bridge

 

 
 

Note 44

George Adkins Barber Shop. Second building South on South West corner of main square.

 

 
 

Note 45

Cyrus K. Holiday engine.  First Santa Fe passenger trains in this area. 1880 Model.

 

 

Note 46

City Service pipe line 1910

 
Note 47
City Service Engine room 1911
 
Note 48
City Service Engine room 1911
 
Note 49
Cambridge Base Ball Team  1914
Front Row L to R:  Leo Farris,  Harry Hendrickson,  J. J. Benjamin,  Beecher Brunton Sr., Clarence Rice
Back Row L to R:  Frank Dossett,  Homer LaFord,  Clay Smith Sr. Chub Wallace,  Elmer Watt
Note 50
Cambridge Presbyterian Church
Note 51
Cambridge post office
Note 52
Inside Cambridge Depot
Note 53
Cambridge Pricilla Club Meeting
Back:  Mrs. Sweet,  Ivy Ryan,  Christina Smith holding Jr.,  Mrs. Daughtery,   Joanna (Mrs. Frank) Moore, 
Lizzie Fox,  Mrs. E. C. Kielhorn, Mrs. Hoyton,  Mrs. Tom Sheets, Mrs. Bedell and Alfred.
Front :  Flossie Holland,  Mrs. Ankrom,  Mrs. Simpson,  Thelma Farris, 
Nora Farris,  Mrs. Dick Moore,  Pernie Farris.
Picture taken in front of Mrs. Sheets house, across the street South of Sam Davis Garage.
Note 54

Elsie Simons Sphar,  Grace Simons Waldroupe

     Elsie Simons (Sphar) is the seated younger person.  She married George Littleton

Sphar (George, born 1899).  Grace Simons (Waldroupe) is standing.  This picture came  from an Edith Cook album.  Elsie and Grace are sisters of Bob Simons who

operated the Beer Joint-Restaurant immediately south of the Carl Pointer grocery
store in the 1930's.  He was married to Minnie.  Their daughters were Anneta;
CHS graduate (1924); Esther, (1936); Frances (1932); Leta (1927).  Daughter, Maudie
Simon's (Campbell) husband worked for the Cities Service pump station. 
They had a son, Bobbie.
Harlan and Grace (Simmons) Waldroupe lived where Herbert and Estalee Brunton
reside now.  Daughter, Margaret Waldroupe was a CHS graduate in 1932. 
Daughter, Maxine, and son Maurice did not graduate from CHS. 
Note 55
The Sam Crow Family
Picture taken late 1913 or early 1914
Back Row:  Matilda,  Ruby,  George,  Jesse,  Josie
Front Row: Norman,  Mason,  Eva,  Marion (on Mother’s lap) Seated Sam Crow,  Ella Crow 
Marion (baby) Born –November 12, 1912
Note 56
The Artemis Club, Cambridge Kansas  1923
Back:  Christine (Clay) Smith,  Mable (Norm) Craft,  Florence (Wilbur) Overman,
Lucile (Howard) Lundy,  Mabel (Dwight) Flower,  Mary (Elmer) Watt,
Margaret (Ross) Horner,  Ruth (Glen) Edwards, Blanch (Jim) Stout,  Martha (Emile) Kielhorn
Front:  Alice (Gibson) Hammer, ?? (??) ??,  Florence (Ed) Riedy,  Flossie (Holland) Hough,
Pernie (Chas) Newman,  Mrs. Molly Lyon,    Photographer - Lizzie (Ed) Fox
Note 57
Guy, Roy Harris
Note 58
Early picture of Cambridge, KS Presbyterian Church
Note 59
Dec 1919 Skating Party on Cedar Creek
Note 60
Standing l to r: Beecher Brunton, Willis Brunton, Bill Ledgerwood,
Charles Roach, Clay J. Smith, Jr., Waly Brown, Jack Bolack, Forrest Beamer.
Kneeling from l to r: Clay Snnth, Sr., Junior Brown, Herb Brunton, Amil (Barney) Lundy, 
Jack Sutton, Frank Brunton, Dale Hendrickson, Berkley Cullumber.
and the two mascots, Alan Smith and Floyd Smith.
Note 61
Cedar Creek,  South edge of Cambridge, East side looking North West
Note 62
Store in Cambridge Ks. Run by W. E. Bedell behind left counter and W. F. Moore behind right counter.
Note 63
Cambridge Pricilla Club Meeting
Back Row: Flossie Holland's Mother, Mrs. Sweet, Ivy Ryan, Christina Smith holding Jr.,
Flossie Holland,  ??,  Mrs. E. C. Kielhorn, Lizzie Fox, Mrs. Holland Mother, Mrs. Tom Sheets,
 Mrs. Bedell and Alfred.
Front Row: Thelma Farris, ??, Joanna (Mrs. Frank) Moore, , Nora (Mrs. Will) Farris, Pernie Farris, ??,  
Picture taken in front of Mrs. Sheets house, across the street South of Sam Davis Garage. 
  Note 64
George Adkins Barber Shop. Second building South on South West corner of main square.
Front Barber is Mr. Agee
Note 65
Cambridge Pricilla Club Meeting
Back:  Mrs. Sweet,  Ivy Ryan,  Christina Smith holding Jr.,  Mrs. Daughtery,   Joanna (Mrs. Frank) Moore, 
Lizzie Fox,  Mrs. E. C. Kielhorn, Mrs. Hoyton,  Mrs. Tom Sheets, Mrs. Bedell and Alfred.
Front :  Flossie Holland,  Mrs. Ankrom,  Mrs. Simpson,  Thelma Farris, 
Nora Farris,  Mrs. Dick Moore,  Pernie Farris.
Picture taken in front of Mrs. Sheets house, across the street South of Sam Davis Garage. 
Note 66
(Dixie) George Lionel Adkins
Note 67
Cambridge 1912
Note 68
Bonnell Grove,