purchased a Chemical Fire Engine and apparatus. At this time Fireman were
paid 25 cents per fire run.
1910 The city
joins the Kansas League of Municipalities. W. A. Hodges requested
permission of the city council to open a Pool Hall in Burden. A petition
was presented to the council asking them to reject the request with 132 names of
voters on the petition. Discussion followed with a committee selected to
talk with Mr. Hodges about withdrawing request. The committee
offered him $100.00 to withdraw the request which he said was not enough he
wanted $200.00. The amount of $135.00 was settled upon. Request
1911 The City water
works was brought into the city with the supply coming from Silver Creek.
The Fire Alarm Bell which still stands was purchased at a cost of $40.62. This
was the way people were called in around the country to answer all emergency
1923 Was the year
the Burden Fire Department was organized. Members were; C. E. Tredway, J. R.
Galyon, Dick Alexander, E. L. King, R. F. Bill, A. G. McCormick, W. A.
Brooks, J. B. Pickens, D. C. Cummingham with Nelson Gibson as Chief and E. L.
Gann Assistance chief.
An agreement was signed with the City of Winfield to supply Burden with Electric
power by connecting to the electric line which supply Dexter. Burden owned
all the lines, lights and other electric equipment which was later sold to the
City of Winfield.
Burdens first motor powered Fire Truck came to be. A 1934 Truck owned by
the City was transformed into the Fire Truck which is still in Burden but no
longer used for fires.